New Pricing

Off-Topic Discussions

New Pricing

Postby Jonathan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Early Adopter Price (Beta License)
$80 USD

Upgrade from Beta License to Full License (Version 1.0)
Free!

Full Version (Version 1.0)
Approximately $150 USD

With the release of version 0.65, I'm changing the pricing model:

As a programmer, it's difficult for me to come up with a price point for this software. Naturally, I would want to charge an amount that's reflective of the amount of work that has gone into AudioGL.

But, as an End User, I understand that you guys are supporting me by purchasing this software while it's still at an early stage of development. You're helping me take this thing to the next level, and you should have access to the finished product when it's ready.

So, I'm giving you a free upgrade. This upgrade applies to new users, and to people who have already purchased licenses.

For Mac Users:

The Beta license, along with the free upgrade, apply to both the Windows and OSX versions of AudioGL. When an OSX version is released, you will not have to purchase a separate license. More details below.

Remember, your $80 is going towards:

• VST & Rewire Support
  • More Preset Instruments
  • Auto-Connect System
  • More Modules
  • More Modulation
  • More demonstration tracks
  • A Help System with Online Tutorials
  • A New Visualization Engine

The Road Ahead:

Once a program is stable, 'Beta' is just a name. Over the next few months, AudioGL will be stable, but, I will still be adding new features to the program. Because I'm still adding so many new features, I want to hold onto the 'Beta' designation a bit longer than I have to. If you want Early Adopter pricing, I recommend purchasing the software in the next six months.

Once the 'Version 1.0' designation has been reached, I will presumably branch the program into two categories. 'Latest Stable Version' and 'Experimental Beta Version'. You will have the option of which one you want to use.

The Mac OSX version of AudioGL is a different story. I had originally planned to release it in 2013, and this estimate is still possible. But, the OSX version of AudioGL requires some extra resources, which I don't have access to right now. Once I can afford the software/hardware I require, I will resume working on it. At that point, I will provide a new release date. I currently have everything that I need, and am working on the OSX version. A release date will follow.
Jonathan

Re: New Pricing

Postby monoRAIL » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:27 am

Sounds like very reasonable pricing. As an early beta buyer I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth as I've enjoyed playing with the software.
monoRAIL

Postby Levendis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:51 am

That's very generous, thanks Jonathan :D
I have posted a link to this thread on a couple of social networks. Hoping to make some early birds out of this siren's song.

Don't forget to make deductions on your tax return for your expenses (Apple hardware/software).
Levendis

Postby girlx » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:35 am

Since beta downloads aren't available for mac yet. How does the early adopter pricing work for OSX? I'd like to blag the $80 price, but is it a bit pointless if OSX isn't support yet?
girlx

Postby soundklinik » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:49 am

The $80 offer is very generous, and is good for up to V. 1.0.
What happens then? Version 1.1 and up to 2.0, will the price keep on increasing?
I remember your initial offer was $200 for complete-full version.
Renoise for example has a price fix from Version 2.8-3.8...(10+updates are free), and they are usually major updates and last long time. (I owned it for a while)
What are your plans?
Thanx
Windows 7 64bits, AMD Athlon ll X3-445 @3.2MGz, 6GB RAM, GeForce 7600GT-256MB
60GB SSD-OS/VSTs, 500GB HDD-Libs, RME-9632-PCI soundcard,
Maschine+BCR2k+PCR300 MIDI controllers
soundklinik

Postby lbsl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:36 pm

girlx wrote:Since beta downloads aren't available for mac yet. How does the early adopter pricing work for OSX? I'd like to blag the $80 price, but is it a bit pointless if OSX isn't support yet?

Some OSX users seem to be capable of dusting off some old PC they have still laying around somewhere tugged deep away in a closet and also on those old machines AudioGL should do well.
cpu Intel Core2 Quad CPUQ6600 @2.40GHz
chipset nVidia nForce 4 SLI x16
mem 8 Gb 800Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.1.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX580 - > driver rev:306.97
lbsl

Postby Jonathan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm

girlx - If you are a devoted OSX-only user, I'll be announcing the OSX release date on the forums, and on the AudioGL Mailinglist.

I'll be sure to announce the release date prior to the price hike, but right now it's too early to tell whether the OSX version will be released as a Beta, or a full-blown Version 1.0. In the latter instance, yes, you'll want to grab a license in advance.
Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Soundklinik - it's a learning experience for me, but I want the pricing to reflect the amount of features in the program.

When a program reaches 2.0, you're usually working with the same thing, but it's more streamlined and well thought out.

But AudioGL 2.0 is going to be a bit different than a traditional music program. So I'm unlikely to go with an 'unlimited free upgrades' plan, because I'm looking to expand in different directions (remember - I've built an entire 3d engine from scratch, there's a lot that I can do with it). Of course, it will be well priced, and there might be spinoffs (ie: a cheap 'AudioGL Player' VST which allows you to load AudioGL instruments inside of your favorite DAW).

-

About the $200 price point I had originally set - this was the price I would have gone with, provided that the Crowdfunding Campaign had been successful. I would have been able to develop something worth $200. Having limited funds forced me to switch strategies, and start stabilizing the program instead of adding new features. And make a website and a user manual and (in a few weeks) start making tutorial videos.

This is why the program seems a bit 'frozen' right now, as though nothing has changed since the old demonstration videos. I wasn't able to develop new features over the last year, but had to bugfix and build user-friendly menus instead.

Essentially, v0.65 marks a watershed, where I can actually start adding new stuff to the program, because all of the painful groundwork is done.
Jonathan

Postby robojam » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

This is really good news. Got to say that way back when I heard of the original pricing I wasn't so interested, but if I can pick it up for $80 then it's definitely on my near term wish list.

Even if you make less from selling each unit I think you'll gain in the long run by getting more buyers.
robojam

Postby Michael Jay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 am

lbsl wrote:
girlx wrote:Since beta downloads aren't available for mac yet. How does the early adopter pricing work for OSX? I'd like to blag the $80 price, but is it a bit pointless if OSX isn't support yet?

Some OSX users seem to be capable of dusting off some old PC they have still laying around somewhere tugged deep away in a closet and also on those old machines AudioGL should do well.

Lucky them because I don't have an old P.C. I can't even remember the last time I owned one?
I really hope this Mac version comes out soon..
Michael Jay

Next

Return to General Discussion