New Pricing

Off-Topic Discussions

Re: New Pricing

Postby soundklinik » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 am

What do you think of making two versions of AudioGL?
Basic=$80 (as it is now) and deluxe=$150, with VST import, rewire +? for those who want that?

I personally like AGL for its modularity and uniqueness (and I don't need VSTs/rewire, etc). but at the same time I am not against it, these features should be available in the "deluxe" version for those that want it.
(at the same time I don't want to have to buy a version with features that I will never use, If I will, I can upgrade) ;)
Having a basic and finished version would be useful, because it gives a taste of what AGL is, with option of upgrading and would give you time to work on deluxe version.
Thanks.
Windows 7 64bits, AMD Athlon ll X3-445 @3.2MGz, 6GB RAM, GeForce 7600GT-256MB
60GB SSD-OS/VSTs, 500GB HDD-Libs, RME-9632-PCI soundcard,
Maschine+BCR2k+PCR300 MIDI controllers
soundklinik

Postby lbsl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:07 pm

soundklinik wrote:What do you think of making two versions of AudioGL?
Basic=$80 (as it is now) and deluxe=$150, with VST import, rewire +? for those who want that?

Thanks.

There are quite a few affordable daws where you can get VST and rewire for less than the $70 extra you would have to shove into this price scheme.
cpu Intel Core2 Quad CPUQ6600 @2.40GHz
chipset nVidia nForce 4 SLI x16
mem 8 Gb 800Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.1.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX580 - > driver rev:306.97
lbsl

Postby soundklinik » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 pm

lbsl wrote:
soundklinik wrote:What do you think of making two versions of AudioGL?

Thanks.

There are quite a few affordable daws where you can get VST and rewire for less than the $70 extra you would have to shove into this price scheme.

With all due respect, why do you meddle in things that are none of your business? :roll:
soundklinik

Postby lbsl » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:39 pm

soundklinik wrote:With all due respect, why do you meddle in things that are none of your business? :roll:

Sorry, didn't knew this topic supposed to be turned into a private business conversation.
cpu Intel Core2 Quad CPUQ6600 @2.40GHz
chipset nVidia nForce 4 SLI x16
mem 8 Gb 800Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.1.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX580 - > driver rev:306.97
lbsl

Postby soundklinik » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:56 am

lbsl wrote:Sorry, didn't knew this topic supposed to be turned into a private business conversation.

Don't worry, only two versions of AGL...sorry to disappoint you :lol:
The price was fictitious.
Most companies have lite versions of software, like Ableton.
but obviously no interest here.
peace
soundklinik

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:03 am

I'm not sure, honestly. I've been re-thinking this as well, and it might be a good idea to do a lite version.

I haven't thought it through yet, and it would be a long ways off, but having a dual pricing model would probably suit this project a lot better than just having one flagship product. I'm not sure what features I would remove in a lite version.
Jonathan

Postby Levendis » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 am

Jonathan wrote:I'm not sure what features I would remove in a lite version.

The lite version could exclude:
  • Modulation Mode. Ouch
  • Video tools.
  • Export to formats other than *.wav/*.aiff (if these are implemented in the future).
  • Orthographic projection view. Potentially too harsh a penalty given it's AudioGL's point of departure from its contemporaries.
  • Full use of computing power. ¹
¹ I use another piece of audio software with a free and licensed version. In its case, one limitation to the free version is omission of multicore processor support.

I'm reluctant to include vst support in the list above. Reason being that the user should have access to his/her whole virtual studio. This also makes it more likely they will use AudioGL as a master DAW.

p.s. It's easy to envisage AudioGL maturing into a multi-media editing suite. That would merit a higher price point than the current $80. IMO
Levendis

Postby degenerate » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Those of you mentioning "basic" and "deluxe" packages are probably a little bit blinded by what the current industry offers. There is absolutely no reason, other than monetary reasons, to offer "packages" where features are cut from a fully functional product.

Yes, this gives the illusion of choice, but in this case choice is your enemy. Let me explain why.

Pretend that there is Basic and Deluxe. You purchase Basic for $80 and start mixing as an amateur. Eventually you get good and want to import VSTs. Oops, that is only in the deluxe edition. OK, no big deal, you just upgrade. As long as upgrading is not too painful, this is easy for the consumer.

The nightmare is for the software owner. You have to to maintain two branches of your product; the basic and deluxe version. No longer can you simply add features... it becomes a big task because you either need to add the feature to both versions, or pick which one it will belong to. Then you need to manage licensing keys between two versions.

Not to mention, when people put up tutorials, they will need to say "well, you can't do this if you have the basic version, because I have the deluxe version, so you will need my version to follow along this tutorial..." - basically the whole thing stinks.

A better way?

Just release one version: 1.0

It has all the features that are available right now. As Jon completes new features, such as VST importing, etc -- he can decide if he wants to put new features in the current 1.0 branch (for free) or add them to the 2.0 branch (next version for upgrade price). It gives him the choice, based on how hard he worked on the new features, to charge for them or not. This also helps the software get 1.0 released faster.

So if something as incredible as VST importing is finally added, Jon can simply make that version 2.0 of the product and charge an upgrade fee to move from 1.0 to 2.0. Then he can choose to maintain updates and fixes to version 1.0 for a decided amount of time (say, for 1 year after 2.0 is released).

This also allows for tiered upgrading. Let's say you purchase 1.0 for $80 when it comes out. Then 2.0 comes out and includes features you don't want. So you don't upgrade. Then when 3.0 comes out, it has a lot of features you want! Jon can make an upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 about $20... and an upgrade from 1.0 to 3.0 for $40. The entire system is flexible but doesn't "cut out" features that would otherwise be in a deluxe version. Instead, new features are an upgrade choice -- not a downgrade choice.
degenerate

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 am

I agree there's not much point in a crippled/cheaper version. People who can't afford or are unwilling to pay for the software will pirate it, they won't buy a cheaper version. Better to make the thing affordable, and have one version. Your current pricing seems very reasonable to me.

As for paid upgrades, I wouldn't be inclined to buy upgrades if they include features I don't need, such as VST support. As an amateur musician this isn't relevant to me - however I would still want the stability and UI fixes that come along with a new version. So long as a major update is reasonably priced, say $20, I'd probably get it.
monoRAIL

Postby brentdanielsmusic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 am

Jonathan

I'm an OS X user. Thanks for the new pricing - I just purchased a license. Frankly, with what I've seen and heard of what you've created with AudioGL, I think it's a bargain. I've been excited About this brilliant application since you first released the initial YouTube video for it. I look forward to the OS X version, whenever that may be. Best of luck, and I hope you get enough funding to continue. I can't wait to try it, and will make great use of the future addition of Rewire and an AudioGL plugin (might there be an AU version for us Logic users?)
Brent Daniels [Free]
brentdanielsmusic.com
brentdanielsmusic

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion